Wednesday, October 19, 2011

...about how much I am enjoying stained glass making.








Have just begun my forth stained glass piece.  Who would have thought I would have found such a fun new hobby that is so rewarding.  My first piece was designed from a photo of our sheltie Kati.  It is a free form piece with no frame.  It was with the kind instruction of my instructor that I learned how to cut glass, grind it so it fits together well, copper foil each piece, solder all the pieces together, burnish the solder, and wax the whole piece.  Several steps but well worth all the careful steps.











My second piece was based on a painting by Gianni Strino entitled La lettera.  I just loved the setting he created so did a similar setting.  It just seems so peaceful and I love the flow of the dress.  It was an inspiring piece to make.







My next piece is for our bathroom window.  I wanted to create another peaceful setting that would make the room a special place to be.  So after a search for just the right children in pretty white dresses, I found a calm but busy ocean scene and put it all together in photoshop.  I like the result.



Presently, I am working on a piece that contains the 5 Chinese elements used in healing: wood, metal, earth, fire, and water.  This piece will be given to my acupuncturist.  I have just started cutting the glass for it but of course, like the others, it will take many weeks to do since I like the intricate approach.  This piece will change several times as it comes together and will probably not resemble the photoshop example here.  Right now, I have just begun cutting some of the leaf sections for the tree.





Hoping this piece turns out just as nice when all is said and done.
Take care,
Liz

No comments: