Wednesday, October 26, 2011

...about when anxiety is up.

Since the age of 39, I have been dealing with on again/off again anxiety.  It is presently on again and has been that way for months.  Panic and high anxiety are not a lot of fun but when compared to some of the complicated challenges people face, it  is something that can be addressed with cognitive behavioral therapy and meds, if needed.  I have done well for the last few years without the latter but now it is time to take an aggressive approach once again.  Too often, people with panic disorders do not want the world to know of their malady, but I figure the more folks that know, the less I have to worry that someone might find out.

Many creative people and perfectionists tend to have anxiety.  It is a "perk" they would probably rather not have, but if one has it, one has to deal with it and put it in its place.  Last night, I started a new med.  These meds have side effects and these vary greatly from person to person.  Some lucky souls have no side effects.  For me, since my body is very acutely sensitive, I tend to get just about every side effect possible while weaning onto certain meds.  Thankfully, most of these side effects do pass once the med finally kicks in which can sometimes take a couple of months.  For the next few months, I will be working hard to bear through these side effects so I can reach the goal of having a calmer mind.  Not easy, but doable.

Anyway, if I appear a little strange and different while getting used to my anxiety med, bear with me.  I am still the same happy, lovable lady who loves life with a passion.  Just facing a bumpy road at present while readjusting my techniques and tools that help to keep anxiety from gaining power over me.  It is a challenge I plan on winning.  Positive thoughts and cheering me on is greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Liz

1 comment:

Cyndimari said...

Well-said, Liz. I didn't know you had a blog... I'll check back in now and then. Ralph's furniture is beautiful. The two of you are amazing with all the talents you have! Cindy