Monday, November 28, 2011

....about the holiday season.

The holiday season is upon us once again.  There are so many delightful aspects to this time of year that warm me through and through.  The colorful decorations bring such joy to our senses, as does the smells of fresh trees and traditional cooking of pies, cookies, turkeys, hams or whatever one's tradition might be.  As in every season, I embrace the joy of diversity...the enlightenment that we all don't have to celebrate the same way or share the same beliefs.  Some of us are more about our own inner feelings and memories, some of us are about our religions, some of us are about getting together with family, ...the list is infinite.  I feel one of the most important ideas I like to embrace is understanding and respect for all people.


For example, I have always called my decorated tree a Christmas tree, but am not bothered in the slightest by anyone who calls theirs a holiday tree.  I have always wished folks of the Christian faith a Merry Christmas, and those of other faiths a happy holiday.  I am not offended if someone wishes me a happy holiday.  I feel so blessed that the person took the time to share a heart felt greeting with me.  I feel sad for the souls who are so persistent that their religion is the "right" religion and everyone HAS to adhere to their faith or else!  How utterly closed minded that is.  There is room on this beautiful planet for everyone, every faith, every ethnic background, every color of skin, male or female, gay or straight, fat or thin, tall or short, old or young, educated or uneducated, rich or poor, ...gosh, the list is infinite.  We are all here together and have it within ourselves to love masses of people no matter who they are.


So to all of you, I share any greeting that fits your belief system and I do so with graciousness, thankfulness, sincerity, and love.  Life is much too short to be excluding anyone who is different from me.  I feel comfortable and caring enough in my inner soul to embrace all peoples with honesty and simple joy.  That is what Christmas means to me.

Take care,
Liz

No comments: