Wednesday, November 16, 2011

...about my brother who just passed away.

Just got the news this evening from my niece Sarah that my half-brother Tom passed away.  I am in shock even though I did not know him very well.  Tom was a strikingly tall man...around 6'5"...and had a face full of character.  He could look quite serious, but when he smiled, his face beamed.  I feel so blessed that I got to meet him and that Marc and Ralph got to spend time with him also.  This is all due to my niece.  Although she lives on the west coast, she came across country and got us together.  Not only that, but Tom came to spend another special day with us after Sarah was back on the other side of the country.


Ralph, Marc, and Tom
Tom was on his way to California to live out his remaining years near his daughter and his grandchildren.  Since he could not bear to part with his Harley, he was crossing the country by motorcycle.  He checked in with Sarah every evening so she would know he was safe.  Last night, he did not check in, and although she called his cell several times, there was no call back.  Late today, a detective found my brother.  Tom had passed away in his motel room.  He had diabetes, and probably other conditions that he had shared with none of us, and died of natural causes.  He had made it all the way to Arizona so was not that far from his destination.  






Sarah and Scarlett


I am so very thankful to Sarah for approaching me by email and bringing my brother and me together.  What a very special lady she is.  I feel honored that she felt comfortable contacting me and feeling secure in knowing that Ralph and I would always be here for her, and welcome into our home warmly.  I had wished for a lifetime that I would get to meet the other half of my family and Sarah made a small part of that wish come true.  So in our grief, I also feel thankfulness and joy because Sarah made the impossible possible.  I am sending her all the love and understanding I can muster.  Bless her heart.  May my brother rest in peace.



Take care (and hug your loved ones!).
Liz

1 comment:

Lori said...

{{{Liz}}} I'm so sorry to hear of your brother's passing. I'm glad you got a chance to meet and to spend time together and that those memories will help ease your pain. Hugs, Lori